For those of you following Forrester’s project to create industry standards for battle cards, I want to give you a glimpse into the group’s progress and remind you about Forrester’s public webinar on September 7, where I’ll touch on battle card standards in more depth.
Each member of the standards group has success stories with their battle cards, but each member also struggles to change battle cards from being “random acts of sales support” to providing consistent, reliable support that helps sales reps win more deals. The purpose of our standards initiative is to do just that – identify and repeat how battle cards help sales reps win competitive deals.
Last week, the standards group reviewed the first draft of specifications for battle cards. Getting these definitions correct is important because all the downstream work we will do depends on these specifications. Our working document defines for battle cards the:
- Purpose. Battle cards help sales reps anticipate and respond to competitive obstacles in the later stages of competitive deals.
- Scope. Battle cards build on a point-counterpoint structure by identifying the competitor’s claims and equipping sales reps with responses.
- Intersections. Battle cards must be consistent with competitive positions established in market overviews, pitch decks, and “marketectures,” RFP responses, and other sales tools.
- Design point. Battle cards fuel customer conversations by addressing competitive issues through the lens of solving the customer’s problem, focusing topics that are core to the customers purchase decision.
- Attributes. Battle cards are specific to the selling situation, have content that is conversational in tone, are validated by sales leaders, and leverage formats and structures that enhance sales usability.
The standards group is currently reviewing these specifications. You can join the discussion in Forrester’s Community for Sales Enablement Professionals. The documents related to the Battle Card Standards Group include the acronym BCSG so that you can easily search for the discussion documents.
Please take the time to join our discussion!