In academia, we called it “publish or perish.” In marketing, we called it #StayRelevant. And in business, it’s the “burning platform.” It’s the idea that people’s behavior is changing and competitors are taking the leap while you stay “safe” on a crumbling cliff. Sounds dire, but that’s the picture you need to paint as a CX leader if you want to catalyze a transformation. Forrester offers 10 steps to find and leverage your org’s burning-platform story:
- Watch for signs that incremental changes aren’t enough.
- Use a crisis as an opportunity to pivot to better practices.
- Dig into what the market is signaling.
- Calibrate the right level of urgency for the message.
- Align the key speaking points to the audience.
- Rally troops around a purpose.
- Emphasize that the next opportunity is “now or never.”
- Repeat the message . . . over and over again.
- Put the burning platform front and center of your strategy document.
- Capitalize on every opportunity to listen to employees and convey the message.
Course correction on a big ship is no easy task, but changing winds make a strong case for it. For fewer metaphors, more elaboration on the steps above, and examples of organizations that used a burning platform as fodder (whoops!) for a CX transformation, see our report, “Find Your Burning Platform To Catalyze Customer Experience Transformation.”