Forrester identified 15 emerging technologies that will change consumer expectations and the way businesses operate over the next five years. In a new report summarizing this research, Forrester ranks each technology based on disruptive potential and the competitive advantage the technology will provide businesses.
Of the 15 technologies selected, five have been identified as having the potential to change the tech world by 2021. These include:
- Internet-of-things (IoT) software and solutions. IoT will be driving new levels of customer insight and engagement for some by 2021, but technology diversity and the need for organizational changes will still stymie or delay many firms.
- Intelligent agents. Intelligent agents and related robots will have eliminated a net 6% of jobs by 2021.
- Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR). By 2021, AR will be commonplace, while VR remains niche.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and cognitive technology. Solutions powered by AI/cognitive technology will displace jobs with the biggest impact felt in transportation, logistics, customer service, and consumer services.
- Hybrid wireless. 5G will be rolling out by 2021, creating a high-bandwidth cellular backbone to support IoT devices. In addition, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi will expand their capabilities to support IoT devices.
Click here for more information, and please contact us if you’d like a copy of this report.